Family, Consumer, and Human Development: BA,BSDepartment: Human Development and Family Studies Department
College: Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services
In this program, students gain the knowledge and skills that prepare them for careers serving individuals and families across the lifespan. Courses are designed to help students deal with current issues confronting families and children in the nation and the world.
Students have the opportunity to work with internationally recognized faculty on important research projects that can help society better understand human development and family relationships with the ultimate goal of improving the quality of life for individuals and families.
Students are required to complete a practicum experience in agencies that provide hands-on experience so they are prepared to enter the workforce when they graduate. The program has a reputation for producing highly qualified professionals who are employed across the state and nation when the graduate with a bachelor’s degree. Students are also well prepared for graduate school.
Students receive a BS by completing all required courses in the major. To receive a BA, students must also gain proficiency in one or more foreign languages.
The Child Development emphasis is only available at the following locations: Logan, Brigham City, and Roosevelt (Uintah basin).
The Family Finance emphasis is only available in Logan.
The Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services may charge differential tuition for this program. Differential tuition is an added cost per credit for courses in the program. See the last page in the USU Tuition & Fee schedule for more information.
With a degree in Family, Consumer, and Human Development, students may pursue careers in the following areas:
Family and Community Services, Child Development, and Human Development Lifespan Emphases
- Child care/preschool settings
- Job coaching, career counseling
- Head Start programs
- Social services agencies
- Drug treatment centers
- Youth and adult residential care centers
- Foster care
- Youth centers
- Crisis centers
- Parent education programs
- Senior citizen centers
- Long-term care facilities
- Federal, state, and local agencies serving families and children
Family Finance Emphasis
- Consumer credit counseling services
- Financial counselor or educator
- Financial planner
- Credit unions
- Corporate employee assistance programs
- Employee benefits counseling firms
- College financial aid offices
- Bank loan offices
- Bankruptcy courts
- Community housing programs
- Personal banker
- Mortgage loan officer
- Credit counselor
- Consumer relations coordinator
- Credit investigator
- Insurance broker
Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.
- Family, Consumer, and Human Development: Child Development Emphasis - BA, BS
- Family, Consumer, and Human Development: Family and Community Services Emphasis - BA, BS
- Family, Consumer, and Human Development: Family Finance Emphasis - BA, BS
- Family, Consumer, and Human Development: Human Development Lifespan Emphasis - BA, BS
Select degrees and programs are not available at all Utah State University locations. Please contact a regional campus advisor to verify program availability.